Creamy Chicken Hand Pies have a cream cheese based filling flavored with onion, carrots, and celery. Easy to make with refrigerated pie crusts.
Ingredients Needed For Creamy Chicken Hand Pies
- Butter– I use salted butter.
- Carrots, sweet onion, and celery– Mushrooms, peas, and finely chopped broccoli are also great filling additions.
- Garlic powder, paprika, and dried thyme– added for flavor. Rosemary may be substituted for thyme.
- Cooked Chicken– I use rotisserie chicken, but any leftover chicken can be used or even canned chicken. Turkey can also be used.
- Cream Cheese– Makes the filling creamy and holds the ingredients together.
- Refrigerated Pie Crusts– I use Pillsbury.
- Egg– an egg wash brushed on the crust helps it brown up.
Can Homemade Pie Crust Be Used?
Yes. A homemade crust can be used instead of refrigerated pie crust. I really like this Flaky Pie Crust Recipe.
How To Cut The Pie Dough Circles
You will need a bowl that has a 4 1/2 to 5-inch diameter across the top. Place it upside down on the pie dough and run a sharp knife around the edge. So easy!
The pie dough scraps can be sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked until golden brown for a sweet treat.
Storage and Freezing
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days and reheat in a toaster oven or air fryer. To freeze, assemble the hand pies and partially freeze on a baking sheet. Then transfer to a freezer bag. Can be kept frozen for 2 months. To bake, place the frozen hand pies on a baking sheet and bake in a 325 degree oven for 3o minutes or until heated through.
More Creamy Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Chicken and Rice
- Crock Pot Creamy Lemon Chicken
- Creamy Baked Swiss Chicken
- One Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/3 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Cook for 3 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic powder, paprika, thyme, pepper, chicken, and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Unroll pie crusts on a lightly floured surface or piece of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll each one out slighty.Use a 4 1/2 to 5-inch cookie cutter or a bowl with a 4 1/2 to 5-inch diameter to cut 4 circles from each piece of dough.
- Divide the chicken filling evenly between the 8 dough circles. Fold dough over the filling, forming a half-moon shape. Crimp edges together with a fork.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place in freezer for 10 minutes to chill. (This will help them keep their shape and hold together.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with a couple teaspoons of water. Brush the top of each hand pie with egg mixture and use a sharp kinfe to make a few small slits in the top of each hand pie.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.