Church Window Cookies are a classic American cookie that look like stain glass windows. These no-bake cookies are a combinaton of chocolate and marshmallows and are perfect for your cookie tray.
Only 5 ingredients needed to make them. They’re called cookies but they are really more of a candy. Church Window Cookies are a delicious combination of colorful marshmallows, chocolate, walnuts, and coconut.
How to make Church Window Cookies:
To make them, you’ll melt 2 cups of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of salted butter together in a large saucepan. Be sure to do this over low heat and stir constantly so that the chocolate does not burn.
Let cool for 5 minutes. You don’t want it hot or it will melt the marshmallows and you won’t get the stained glass look.
Place 2 pieces of waxed paper on your counter and sprinkle 1/4 of the coconut on each one in a 4×12-inch section. Place the nuts and the marshmallows in a large bowl and when the chocolate mixture has cooled, add it to the bowl and stir it in really well.
Divide the mixture between the two pieces of wax paper and shape into 2 logs. Sprinkle the rest of the coconut on top. Tightly roll the logs up in the wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into slices.
Tips for Making:
- You can use pecans instead of walnuts.
- The coconut can be omitted.
- Can be frozen for 2 to 3 months if tightly wrapped in wax paper.
More Christmas Cookies:
- Oatmeal Spice Cookies with Maple Glaze
- Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Croissant Cookies
Church Window Cookies
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cubed
- 1 (10-ounce) package pastel marshmallows
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Place chocolate chips and melted butter in a large saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. If the mixture is too warm, it will melt the marshmallows.
- Place two large pieces of wax paper on the counter. Sprinkle about 1/4 of the coconut onto each piece (saving half the coconut) in about a 4 by 12-inch section.
- Place the marshmallows and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the bowl and stir to mix evenly.
- Transfer half the mixture onto each piece of wax paper placing it on top of the coconut. Shape into 2 logs. Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top of the logs and onto any bare sections.
- Tightly wrap the logs in the wax paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Use a knife to cut the logs into slices.