Chocolate Pound Cake with Caramel Icing- this rich chocolate pound cake is covered in a fabulously sweet and rich caramel icing.
It is the perfect combination of flavor. The buttery flavor of the caramel icing really enhances the chocolate flavor of the cake. The cake batter also has a little coffee added for extra flavor.
The caramel icing is a simple one, made from 4 ingredients: heavy cream, light brown sugar, baking soda, and butter. You will need to refrigerate it to get it thick enough to ice the cake.
How To Make Chocolate Pound Cake with Caramel Icing
More detailed instructions below.
- Preheat the oven and grease your Bundt pan.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the wet ingredients.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.
- Make icing and ice the cake.
Chocolate Pound Cake with Caramel Icing Recipe Tips
Have all your ingredients measured and ready to go.
Grease your bundt pan really well. I recommend using Baker’s Baking Spray with Flour or brushing it with melted shortening and then dusting with flour. Do not miss any areas.
To prevent a dry bundt cake, do not overbake the cake and measure the flour correctly. Fluff up the flour some in the bag and then spoon it into the measuring cup. Level it with the back of a knife.
The butter should be softened and the egg and buttermilk should be at room temperature for best results.
Can be stored at room temperature for 4 to 5 days. Wrap well so it doesn’t dry out.
Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Pound Cake Recipes
- Five Flavor Pound Cake
- Coconut Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Classic Southern Pound Cake
- Amaretto Pound Cake
- Milky Way Pound Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (16-ounce) box light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a bundt pan with baking spray.
- Beat butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, stopping several times to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, coffee, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour and adding buttermilk in 2 additions. Beat just until incorporated.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading it evenly. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan to cool completely.
- To make frosting, bring heavy cream and brown sugar to a rolling boil in a medium saucepan. Boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in baking soda and boil 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and add butter but do not stir. Pour into a large bowl. Let cool 5 minutes. Stir and then place in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat with a hand-held mixer or a whisk for about 1 minute. If it still is not thick enough, refrigerate until it is thicker, checking every 5 minutes. Pour on cake.