A Cheesy Green Bean Casserole made from fresh green beans with sautéed mushrooms and a crunchy fried onion topping. This is a must make recipe for the holidays or any large family gathering. With a cup and a half of shredded cheddar, it is supremely cheesy.
I am in love with casseroles all year long but especially in the fall. There are so many reasons to love casseroles. They can be made ahead of time, feed a crowd, and leftovers reheat well.
Green Bean Casserole is always a family a favorite. Except with my son who always says I should have made broccoli casserole instead.
Sometimes I make Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole to free up oven space, but this recipe is probably my favorite green bean casserole recipe.
UPDATE: I have a new favorite Green Beand Casserole- Cream Cheese Bacon Green Bean Casserole.
The cup and a half of shredded cheddar cheese gives it a richer and more comforting flavor. The only problem with Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is it is so good you won’t want to eat anything else with it and it’s supposed to be a side, not the main dish. I’m thinking about making it next time with just a little shredded chicken added in so I can call it a main dish casserole.
Can I Make This Casserole With Canned Green Beans
Many of you have asked if you can make this casserole with canned green beans. Yes, you can. Although I prefer it with fresh, you can make it with either canned or frozen. If using canned, 3 cans should be enough. You will not need the chicken broth.
For extra flavor try adding a little cooked and crumbled bacon.
What To Do With Leftover Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
If you have leftovers, you need to try thse Green Bean Casserole Stuffed Mushrooms. They are so much fun!
More Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- The BEST Yeast Rolls
- 4 cups of green beans, ends trimmed and long ones cut in half
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4-ounce) package white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (6-ounce) can French-fried onions, divided
- Place green beans and chicken broth in a medium saucepan. Add just enough water to cover green beans. Bring to a boil and simmer 10-12 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, mix together mushrooms, green beans, condensed mushroom soup, milk, cheddar, 1/2 cup of the French-fried onions, and soy sauce, and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, Top with remaining onions.
- Place in oven for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted October 2, 2014
Sharing with the Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.