Brown Sugar Bacon Biscuits- these savory, sweet and salty biscuits are the perfect way to start the day. They are buttery, tender and soft.
It’s hard to beat homemade fluffy and tender biscuits. Frozen biscuits or refrigerated biscuits can not compare.
These Brown Sugar Bacon Biscuits are full of brown sugar and crumbled bacon. Plus, just before baking they are brushed with a mixture of brown sugar and bacon grease for even more flavor.
They taste delicious as is but also make a great breakfast sandwich. Just add eggs and cheese. Delicous!
Tips for Making Really Good Biscuits:
- Make sure your butter is really cold. I like to cut it into cubes and stick it in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can also chill the bowl and the flour beforehand to help keep the butter cold.
- Work the butter into the flour until the butter pieces are larger than a lentil, but no bigger then a pea.
- Don’t overwork the dough. Just mix until everything comes together. If you overwork the dough, you will have tough biscuits.
- Don’t skip the step where you fold the dough. You should do this process 3 times. It helps form lots of flaky layers in your biscuits.
- Do not twist the biscuit cutter. Use an up and down motion. Your biscuits will rise higher and more evenly this way.
Try These Other Amazing Biscuit Recipes:
- Angel Biscuits
- Chocolate Chip Biscuits
- 7-Up Biscuits
- 3-Ingredient Buttermilk Biscuits
- Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits
Brown Sugar Bacon Biscuits
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (save the bacon grease)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk (cold)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons brown suar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter cubes and cut them in with a pastry blender or use your hands.Stir in buttermilk until just combined. Stir in bacon.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat it down some and then fold it in half in one direction and then fold it in half again in the opposite direction so that you have folded in in fourths.Repeat 2 times, pressing it until it is 3/4-inch thickness.
- Use a 2 1/2 to 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Make and up and down motion with no twisting. Collect scraps to cut another biscuit or 2. You should get 6 to 8 biscuits.
- Place biscuits in a 12-inch cast iron pan. Or you can use a baking sheet.
- Mix together the bacon grease and brown sugar. If bacon grease is solid, microwave it first. Brush mixture on top of the biscuits. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: Taste of the South
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
4 thoughts on “Brown Sugar Bacon Biscuits”
Was a bit more difficult than I anticipated but the end result is delicious
These biscuits are amazing.
When is the bacon added?
Fixed it. Thanks Nancy!