Crispy bacon and a buttery sweet glaze make these Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles a delicious side to serve with a special meal.
How To Serve Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
This side dish is worthy of a special occasion. Serve it for Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day brunch, or Christmas dinner. Goes great with beef, ham, lamb, shrimp, or scallops. It also makes a wonderful appetizer.
I do 3 asparagus spears per bundle but you can do 4 or 5. It’s up to you.
Wrap the asparagus spears with bacon up to 24 hours in advance. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
How Long To Cook
It will take 20 to 25 minutes for the bacon to get crispy. The asparagus will get fairly soft during this time. If you like crisp asparagus, I recommend halfway precooking the bacon first to shorten the cooking time.
Do NOT use thick-cut bacon. It will not get crispy. The thinner the bacon, the better.
If your bacon is on the thicker side, I recommend partially precooking it.
Medium or thick asparagus stalks work best. The bacon takes a while to get crispy in the oven and thin stalks will get overdone before the the bacon is fully cooked.
Make It Spicy
Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the glaze mixture to add a little heat to this recipe.
Soy sauce can be substituted for the Worcestershire sauce and honey or maple syrup can be used instead of brown sugar. Instead of a garlic clove, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Leftovers will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheats well in an air fryer.
More Asparagus Recipes
- Asparagus Casserole
- Fried Asparagus
- Asparagus Mornay
- Pork and Garlic Stir Fry
- Asparagus and Mascarpone Gratin
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 18 spears fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed off
- 6 slices bacon
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, dry mustard, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add asparagus and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
- Group asparagus spears in groups of 3 and wrap a piece of bacon around each one.
- Place on baking sheet. Drizzle any extra butter mixture over them.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. If bacon is not crispy turn broiler on for a few minutes.