Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting are delicious and moist with a few mini chocolate chips added into the batter. On top there is a thick layer if caramel frosting. This is sure to be one of your favorite ways to use that garden fresh summer zucchini.
The from scratch cupcake batter is flavored with cinnamon, cloves, a little almond extract, and some orange juice.
One and a half cups of shredded zucchini help keep the cupcakes moist and add some nutrition. The cupcakes are light and tender with some sweetness, but not too much.
Most of the sweetness comes from the really sweet caramel frosting. It has lots of brown sugar and you will have a hard time not just eating it by the spoonful.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 18 muffin cups with paper liners
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, orange juice, and almond extract until well blended.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cloves and add to wet ingredients.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3's full. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and then remove from muffin tin.
- To make frosting, combine brown sugar, butter, and milk in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Transfer brown sugar mixture to a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Continue to beat until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Spread on cupcakes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
More Zucchini Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.