Zucchini Bars with Pecans and Coconut are covered with a sweet cinnamon glaze. They make a great summer treat.
Do you have a surplus of zucchini that you have no idea what to do with? Scroll down to find more zucchini recipes. Or try these bars which are perfectly moist and sweet, with a little crunch from the pecans.
This is a simple, old-fashioned recipe that’s great for using up zucchini. These bars are buttery with both granulated sugar and brown sugar added for sweetness.
I love to add just a few mini chocolate chips to the batter because I love chocolate with zucchini. But the chocolate isn’t necessary and you can use regular-sized chocolate chips instead.
Tips for making Zucchini Bars with Coconut and Pecans:
- These bars only bake for 25 to 30 minutes, so be sure to finely shred your zucchini or it may be a little crunchy.
- The coconut can be left out if you don’t like it.
- You can use walnuts instead of pecans.
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini a little in paper towels before adding it to the batter to get rid of excess moisture.
How to pick a good zucchini:
- Look for zucchini that are on the smaller side (6 to 8 inches). The huge ones are great for stuffing but they don’t have as good a flavor.
- The skin should be dark green and unblemished.
I love how versatile zucchini is and it is so inexpensive this time of year.
Try these other fabulous zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
- Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Zucchini Bars with Coconut and Pecans
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until mixed in.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Stir in coconut, pecans, zucchini, and mini chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set in the middle. Let cool.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients and pour over bars.