Watermelon Mojito Cupcakes made from doctored cake mix and a mint frosting will brighten up any picnic or summer party. Not only do these cupcakes look like watermelon, they taste like it too thanks to some fresh watermelon puree added to the batter. Mini chocolate chips give the effect of watermelon seeds and add a hint of chocolate flavor.
The Fourth of July is nearly here. Can you believe it ? This summer is absolutely flying by. It feels like Memorial Day was just yesterday. But there are still many weeks ahead for enjoying watermelon.
My favorite way to enjoy watermelon is by sprinkling just a little salt on a slice. Sometimes the simplest things in life really are the best.
But sometimes something a little more original and special is called for.
These Watermelon Mojito Cupcakes are a treat both kids and grown-ups will enjoy. To fully give the effect of a Mojito, the delicious summer cocktail with rum and mint, I added a little rum to the batter and rum extract to the frosting. But you could easily omit the rum from the batter or only add it to half of the batter.
Using a box of white cake mix, these cupcakes turn out super light, making them a great choice for an outdoor picnic. Because of the frosting, you will want to keep them in a cool place until serving. If left in the heat, they might turn into melted watermelon cupcakes and that wouldn’t be any fun. Wouldn’t be very pretty either.
Watermelon Mojito Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups watermelon puree made from putting about 2 1/2 cups diced watermelon in blender
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- 20-30 drops red food coloring
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 20 drops green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cake mix, watermelon puree, egg whites, vegetable oil, and rum on low speed until mixed together. Increase to medium speed for 2 minutes. Turn back to low speed and add in red food coloring. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between muffin cups and bake 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add extracts.
- With mixer on low, gradually add in powdered sugar. Turn mixer to high and beat until smooth.
- Turn back to low-speed and add green food coloring and milk. Turn to medium speed just long enough to get food coloring mixed in well.
- Frost cupcakes using an offset spatula or pastry bag.
Want to Save This Recipe?
23 thoughts on “Watermelon Mojito Cupcakes Recipe”
I’m a major watermelon lover and this pregnancy has me seriously craving it all the time. I probably go thru a half a watermelon a week by myself. It would be more if it wasn’t such a pain to bring to work. These cupcakes are super cute!!!
Watermelon is definitely a pain to carry around. So heavy when it’s whole and the cubes don’t weigh much but they take up so much space! 🙂
this is such a cute idea! so summery!