Triple Chocolate Banana Bread is super moist and full of chocolate flavor. This is a chocolate lover’s banana bread for sure. Sorry bananas, chocolate takes center stage here. But you still get that banana flavor, it’s just more of an undertone.
This is a recipe from Spend With Pennies I spotted on Pinterest. You can find it and many other enticing banana recipes on my Going Bananas! Pinterest Board. Yes, it’s necessary to have a Pinterest Board just for bananas.
This banana bread is a triple chocolate whammy. The first dose of chocolate comes from cocoa powder in the batter.
Second dose? Semi-sweet chocolate chips tossed into the batter. Enough to notice they are there, but not enough to overpower the bread.
Finally, a thick and rich chocolate glaze on top. Don’t be shy with it.
All in all, a truly decadent banana bread to make snack time extra special!
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe Tips:
- Use very ripe bananas. They should have lots of black spots on them. The bananas add both sweetness and moisture and super ripe bananas have more of each.
- I love the richness the glaze adds but it can be skipped and you’re still left with delicious chocolate banana bread.
This super rich banana bread makes a great snack or breakfast and it has enough sweetness and chocolate flavor to pass as dessert.
Try These Other Banana Bread Recipes:
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9X5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. With mixer on low speed, add eggs one at a time and then beat in bananas and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan heat half-and-half and brown sugar until sugar dissolves and it just starts to simmer. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Add chocolate chips, remove from heat, and let sit for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Let glaze cool slightly and then drizzle on cooled bread.
Recipe Source: adapted from Spend with Pennies
Recipe originally published March 4. 2015
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.