Tortilla Crusted Chicken and Coconut Rice with black beans and corn is a flavorful, filling meal the whole family will enjoy.
How to Make Tortilla Crusted Chicken With Coconut Rice:
Boneless chicken breasts are coated in crushed tortilla chips- a great way to use up leftover chips! They are then sauteed until golden brown and crispy. I like to cut 2 chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 chicken cutlets that cook more quickly. Plus it makes the meal much more economical.
To make sure the chicken was well coated, I first dredged it in flour, then dipped it in egg, and then pressed the crushed tortilla chips on. The finer you crush the tortilla chips, the better they will adhere to the chicken. To crush them, I placed them in a large ziptop bag and crushed them with my hands.
For the rice, I used Jasmine rice but you could use regular white rice. Not only does Jasmine rice taste wonderful, the nutty-floral aroma it gives off as it cooks is amazing. The rice is cooked in coconut milk which helps flavor the rice and gives it a hint of sweetness. The rice is finished off with some canned black beans and corn plus a few green onions.
To flavor the dish up even more, I mixed together a little lime juice, honey, and oil to drizzle on top.
Tortilla Crusted Chicken is a weeknight meal everyone in the family will look forward to.
Try These Other Delicious Chicken Dinners:
- Chicken with Creole Mustard Cream Sauce
- Baked Parmesan Chicken
- Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Bourbon Pecan Chicken
Tortilla Crusted Chicken with Coconut Rice
- 1 can coconut milk, the thick kind
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally or 4 chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water, salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, place lid on top and cook for 20 minutes (or amount of time suggested on the rice container).
- Remove from heat and stir in beans, corn, and green onions. Keep warm.
- Place flour, cumin, garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt on a plate and tortilla chips on a second plate. Place eggs in a bowl. Mix the spices into the flour.
- Coat chicken in flour, dip in egg, and dredge in tortilla crumbs. Use your fingers to really press the crumbs into the chicken.
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes each side, or until done.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, and oil.
- Dish rice onto 4 plates, top with chicken and drizzle with honey-lime mixture.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published August 23, 2014.
This post may contain affiliate links.
12 thoughts on “Tortilla Crusted Chicken with Coconut Rice”
The tortilla crust is such a brilliant idea!! the rice sounds delicious too 🙂
This looks delicious and your crust is perfect. I once made chicken crusted with tortilla chips and most of the crust was left behind in the pan. I found that I did better baking it in the oven. The crust stayed on 😀
I love coconut rice and it sounds delicious with this crispy tortilla crusted chicken! Such a creative way to and fun new way of serving chicken – pinning 🙂
What a great idea for lunch or dinner Love the tortilla chips coating for chicken breast. I think I will do this meal this week for my daughters. Must be delicious.
This is my kind of dish! I love coconut rice, and that chicken with those crispy tortilla chips looks so delicious. Pinning. 🙂
I just recently discovered my love for coconut rice, but I never ever thought to throw black beans and corn in it. But now that sounds like a lovely combo, especially with this chicken! I love the idea of leftover chips as a coating. 😀 Great recipe idea, Christin!
Yum!!! What’s better than tortilla chips for dinner?!!? This looks amazing. I love coconut rice and how you seasoned the tortilla crusted chicken…almost like eating a bag of those lime tostidos…I love those!
This looks like SUCH a fun way to shake up Mexican night a little bit. 😉 I love how golden and crunchy the chicken looks and that bed of fluffy rice is perfection! Pinned.! 🙂
Mmm I have been meaning to tty coconut rice for months now. It sounds simply amazing! Also, these are such colorful shots. Love them! xx
This chicken dish looks fantastic, Christin! What a creative way to jazz up boring ‘ole chicken!
This looks awesome! The flavor combination is just perfect! I have seen coconut rice popping up more often and I haven’t tried it yet. Obviously that needs to change!