Tortilla Crusted Chicken and Coconut Rice with black beans and corn is a flavorful, filling meal the whole family will enjoy.
Boneless chicken breasts are coated in crushed tortilla chips- a great way to use up leftover chips! They are then sauteed until golden brown and crispy. I like to cut 2 chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 chicken cutlets that cook more quickly. Plus it makes the meal much more economical.
To make sure the chicken was well coated, I first dredged it in flour, then dipped it in egg, and then pressed the crushed tortilla chips on. The finer you crush the tortilla chips, the better they will adhere to the chicken. To crush them, I placed them in a large ziptop bag and crushed them with my hands.
For the rice, I used Jasmine rice but you could use regular white rice. Not only does Jasmine rice taste wonderful, the nutty-floral aroma it gives off as it cooks is amazing. The rice is cooked in coconut milk which helps flavor the rice and gives it a hint of sweetness. The rice is finished off with some canned black beans and corn plus a few green onions.
To flavor the dish up even more, I mixed together a little lime juice, honey, and oil to drizzle on top.
Tortilla Crusted Chicken is a weeknight meal everyone in the family will look forward to.
- 1 can coconut milk (thick kind)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally or 4 chicken cutlets
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water, salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, place lid on top and cook for 20 minutes (or amount of time suggested on the rice container).
- Remove from heat and stir in beans, corn, and green onions. Keep warm.
- Place flour, cumin, garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon salt on a plate and tortilla chips on a second plate. Place eggs in a bowl. Mix the spices into the flour.
- Coat chicken in flour, dip in egg, and dredge in tortilla crumbs. Use your fingers to really press the crumbs into the chicken.
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes each side, or until done.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, and oil.
- Dish rice onto 4 plates, top with chicken and drizzle with honey-lime mixture.