Sweet potato fries or chips are my weakness when it comes to salty snacks. I tend to greatly overindulge. With these Baked Sweet Potato Straws, you can eat as much as you want to without feeling guilty.
Besides being tossed with a little olive oil and salt, these are just straight-up sweet potatoes. Just think of all that Vitamin A and Vitamin C you are getting if you eat a whole bowl of these!
Sweet Potato Straws bake up perfectly crispy, but it can take a little trial and error to get them just the way you want them.
To make them you need a spiralizer. It makes cutting the sweet potatoes super quick and easy and it gets them thin enough that they will crisp up nicely. If you’ve baked sweet potatoes before you know that is not an easy task. They have a very high moisture content.
You will need to really watch the cooking time. These Sweet Potato Straws burn easily and quickly. Cooking time can vary some based on your oven and you definitely want to give them a quick stir or two while they bake.
These Sweet Potato Straws are perfect served with a burger or just eaten as a snack. I love how crispy they get and they are so much fun to eat.
Never miss a recipe. CLICK HERE to Subscribe.
Sweet Potato Straws
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut the ends off so they have a flat surface. Use a spiralizer to spiralize sweet potatoes into thin pieces.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and spread out on 2 baking sheets.
- Place in oven and stir about every 10 minutes. They should take about 30 minutes, but this can vary based on your oven and how thin your spiralizer cuts the potatoes. They can burn quickly so watch them carefully at the end. They will crisp up more as they cool. It may take a little trail and error to get them just how you want them.
- Season with salt immediately after removing from oven.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Bacon
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
6 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Straws”
Perfection!! Simple and delicious recipe. My family loved them….. big hit in our house! Will definitely be making these regularly. Thanks for a great recipe!
Oh my gosh! I have never been a big fan of sweet potato fries because they all seem to be mushy and limp. These straws are nuts amazing! So easy to make and the sweet flavor with a crispy crunch was fantastic.
Be sure to invest in an electric spiralizer. The hand crank type are hard to set up, hard to store, messy, and just plain tiresome. I got one, love it, and can’t wait to try this recipe.
These would disappear in no time at our house! I need to try this soon!
Oh, wow! I love sweet potato fries, but never get the right “crisp”to them. These look so delicious and perfect!
Now I’m wondering why I STILL don’t have a spiralizer! Lol. These look so perfect and crispy!