Sweet Potato Hash with red bell peppers, zucchini, and onion. Topped with bacon and eggs for a hearty, nutritious breakfast.
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Bacon is one of my favorite ways to eat eggs for breakfast. It also makes a wonderful and inexpensive lunch or dinner. I love the sweet taste of sweet potatoes in savory dishes. I’ve added red bell pepper, onion, and zucchini to the hash for flavor and tons of good nutrition. Lots of different ingredients would work in this recipe and you can really use it to clear out your refrigerator.
To make Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Bacon, first you cook some bacon. I like to use a Cast-Iron Skillet because this dish is finished in the oven, plus if seasoned well, you don’t need to add any grease to keep the bacon from sticking.
Once the bacon crisps up you set it aside and cook the sweet potato cubes in the bacon fat until they start to brown and get soft. Next add the onion, red pepper, zucchini plus the spices. I added cayenne pepper, paprika, and chili powder all of which I really like with sweet potatoes.
Once the veggies start to soften, form two wells in the mixture and crack the eggs into them. Place the pan in a 400 degree oven to cook the eggs.
I like to cook the eggs just until the white part is nice and set. I love when the warm, creamy yolk spreads out over the hash. It’s like the egg yolk coats the hash in a rich and silky sauce.
It is a hearty, delicious, and low-carb way to start your day!
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Bacon
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet potato, about 1/2-inch dice, peeled and diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a 9 to12-inch cast iron pan over medium-low heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and add sweet potato. Cook until lightly browned on bottom and flip over.
- When sweet potatoes are just getting tender, add zucchini, red pepper, and onion. Season with salt and pepper and add paprika, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Cook until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Make 2 small wells and crack eggs into them. Place pan in oven and cook until eggs are cooked to your liking, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, crumble bacon and sprinkle on top.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.