I made this delicious Lightened-Up Sweet Potato Pie using SPLENDA® Sweetener Products as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
A Sweet Potato Pie with a creamy filling and a crunchy pecan topping makes a wonderful dessert for the holidays. This one has wonderful fall flavors- fresh, in season sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and allspice- but I’ve lightened it up by using SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend.
Pumpkin Pies are of course very popular this time of year, but since I’m a southerner and I grew up in the Sweet Potato State (that would be North Carolina 🙂 ), a Sweet Potato Pie for the holidays is a must.
If you haven’t tried a Sweet Potato Pie, it’s very, very similar to a Pumpkin Pie with a smooth texture and delicate sweetness. This Lightened-Up Sweet Potato Pie is fabulously easy to make and I’ve reduced the amount of sugar by using SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. The SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend builds on the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes to give this pie plenty of sweetness without being too sweet.
A pecan topping gives the pie a crunchy coating to compliment the creamy filling. The pecans are tossed with a little melted butter and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend so that they bake up with a buttery, candy-like coating.
The addition of cinnamon and allspice (you could use nutmeg instead) gives this pie all the fall flavor it needs.
I used a frozen deep dish pie crust to simplify things, but you could make your own.
You can eat Lightened-Up Sweet Potato Pie warm or it tastes totally fabulous chilled with a dollop of whipped cream.
SPLENDA® Brand Sweeteners are the perfect way to lighten up your holiday celebrations so that you don’t pack on those extra pounds. With SPLENDA® Brand products you can reduce your sugar intake by swapping out full sugar with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener. You can find more #SweetSwaps Recipes on sweetswaps.com to help you make delicious foods and still live a balanced lifestyle.
I especially love the SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend which is a mixture of SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener and Brown Sugar. You still get that brown sugar flavor that goes so well with fall foods (like Sweet Potato Pie!) but only half the calories. To use it in a recipe, you only need to use half as much. For instance, if a recipe calls for 1 cup brown sugar, you would use 1/2 cup of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. It also makes a great addition to oatmeal.
SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend gives foods the same color, texture, and molasses-like flavor that regular brown sugar does. I love it when I can cut the sugar and calories without sacrificing flavor. Don’t you?
To learn about more ways to cut the sugar in your foods, follow SPLENDA® Brand on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You will love doing your Holiday fall baking with SPLENDA® Sweeteners.
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch deep-dish pie shell, unbaked
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoons SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed to make sure they are smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, evaporated milk, cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla. Pour into pie crust.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and 1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. Add pecans and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle pecans evenly on top of pie filling.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Filling should be set in the middle. Let cool before slicing.
Instead, you could cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and boil until tender, removing the skin before mashing.
Want to Save This Recipe?