I made this wonderful Lightened-Up Blueberry Coffee Cake using SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener as a part of a sponsored post for SocialStars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps.
Lightened-Up Blueberry Coffee Cake allows you to have something sweet with your morning cup of coffee without the guilt. Made with unsweetened applesauce, low-fat milk, SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, and fresh blueberries, it is a satisfying treat that is easy on the waistline.
Fresh blueberries provide pockets of sweet and tart flavor, while a walnut streusel adds a little crunch. You can use almonds or pecans instead of walnuts or leave the nuts out altogether.
A touch of cinnamon in the batter and streusel adds that quintessential coffee cake flavor. A slice of Lightened-Up Blueberry Coffee is a delicious way to start the day with either a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. It is good warm from the oven or at room temperature.
Using SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend gives all the flavor of brown sugar to baked goods, but it has twice the sweetness of brown sugar so you only need to use half as much. A 1 bag of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend has the sweetness of 2 pounds of brown sugar. In a recipe that calls for 1 cup of brown sugar, you only need to use 1/2 cup of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend.
SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend gives baked goods a similar texture, moistness, and flavor to using brown sugar.
SPLENDA® Brand Sweeteners are versatile and can be used in a variety of recipes including baked goods, appetizers, and beverages. Pretty much any where you want to add some sweetness, SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener can be used.
The Sweet Swaps program is dishing out hundreds of ways to save calories by swapping full sugar for SPLENDA® Brand Sweeteners.
Lightened-Up Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-inch square pan.
- In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup flour, 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Scatter mixture evenly on top of batter. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.