Slow Cooker Mexican Dip Sandwich is the Tex-Mex version of a French Dip Sandwich. Tender, fall-apart chuck roast is slow-cooked with Mexican spices and chipotle peppers and piled on sub rolls with Pepper Jack cheese, fresh avocado, and pico de gallo. This sandwich is so juicy and full of flavor.
Slow Cook A Beef Chuck Roast
The first step is to cook the beef. Cook it in a slow cooker on LOW for 8 hours with onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, lime juice, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, beef broth, and a packet or Au Jus Gravy mix. After 8 hours, the meat will easily shred.
Build The Sandwich
Toast the bread with Pepper Jack cheese. Assemble the sandwiches with fresh avocado slices and pico de gallo.
The shredded beef also makes a great filling for quesadillas, tacos, or burritos.
- 6-Quart Slow Cooker- I use the Hamilton Beach Portable 6 Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker.
- Fat Separator- chuck roast is a very fatty cut of meat. It is very helpful to use a fat separator to separate the fat from the rest of the cooking liquid.
Spice It Up
The chili powder and chipotle peppers give some heat to the beef. If you want to spice it up, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
How to Store Slow Cooker Mexican Dip Sandwich
The shredded beef will keep for 4 to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator or it can be frozen in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
More Amazing Sandwich Recipes
- Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
- Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap
- Cajun Chicken and Andouille Subs
- Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich
- Pimento Cheese Patty Melts
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1-ounce) packet Au Jus gravy mix
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 12 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Place onion and garlic in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Place chuck roast on top of the onion.
- Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, oregano, sat, pepper, Au Jus gravy mix and minced chipotle peppers on top of roast.
- Pour beef broth and lime juice on top of roast.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Pour liquid into a bowl. Skim fat off the liquid or use a fat separator.Shred the beef with two forks and add about 1 1/2 cups of cooking liquid back into the slow cooker.
- Check for seasoning and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut hoagie rolls open and place 2 pieces of cheese on the top piece of each roll. Place all bread pieces on a baking sheet and broil until toasted and cheese is melted.
- To assemble, pile shredded beef, avocado, and pico de gallo on each bottom.