These spicy Cajun Chicken and Andouille Subs are full of chicken, sausage, peppers, onions, and provolone cheese, plus a zesty cajun sauce.
Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder intensely flavor the chicken. The sauce is mayonnaise-based and flavored with Creole mustard, horseradish, dill pickles, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and hot sauce. It can be made 2 to 3 days ahead of time. In fact, it is best to make it at least a few hours ahead of time so the flavors have time to marry.
- Andouille Sausage– andouille is a smoked cajun sausage with lots of spices. If you don’t have any, just use kielbabsa. It won’t have the spiciness of andouille, but it will still be delicious.
- Chicken– I use chicken thighs because they are juicier and have more flavor than chicken breasts. You can use chicken breasts as a substitute. The chicken is coated in a spice blend of Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Bell Peppers and Onions– I use a combination of green and red bell pepper but you can use all one or the other.
- Cheese– I use provolone, but pepper jack, mozzarella, or monterey jack are good choices too.
- Bread– I like to use crusty sub rolls.
Equipment Needed For Cajun Chicken and Andouille Subs
Cast Iron Pan– a cast iron pan is best for cooking the sausage, chicken, peppers, and onion. Cast iron gets really hot and retains heat well. It’s really good for searing food which helps build flavor. If you don’t have one, use any type of skillet.
Toaster oven– for toasting the sub rolls. This can be done in a regular oven instead or an air fryer.
More Great Sandwich Recipes
- Cornflake Crusted Chicken Sandwiches
- Pimento Cheese Patty Melts
- Muffaletta Sandwich
- Cajun Grilled Cheese
- Brisket Grilled Cheese
- Brown Sugar Bacon Sloppy Joes
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, cut on a bias into 1/3-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 sub rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Combine all Cajun Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Combine all spice blend ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the sausage and cook until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with spice blend. Add chicken to the cast iron pan and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.Let cool for 10 minutes and then slice.
- Add remaining oil to pan and cook bell peppers and onion until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Split sub rolls in half and add 2 cheese slices to each one. Toast in a toaster oven or 400 degree oven until cheese is melted. Add the sausage, chicken, peppers, and onions to the subs and return to toaster or oven until warm.
- Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.