Short Rib Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. So cheesy with lots of shredded short rib meat. This meaty homemade mac and cheese combines 2 of my favorite foods into one unbelievably delicious meal.
Short Rib Mac and Cheese is so full of meat and so hearty, it works better as a main dish than a side dish. Bring it to a potluck and you will be the most popular person there.
I used a pound of rigatoni but you can pretty much use any pasta shape. I just like how the rigatoni makes it seem a little more like a pasta casserole than a mac and cheese.
A combination of cheddar cheese and gruyere cheese really complements the flavor of the short ribs.
I use leftover short rib meat from this recipe. Along with Spicy Beef Quesadillas, this Short Rib Mac and Cheese is my favorite way to use up leftover short rib meat. It could also be made with leftover brisket.
Try These Other Amazing Mac and Cheese Recipes:
- Chicken, Bacon, and Ranch Mac and Cheese
- Philly Cheese Steak Mac and Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- Bourbon and Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
This is the recipe I like to use for Short Ribs.
- 16 ounces rigatoni, cooked according to package directions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 cups leftover shredded short ribs
- 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9x13-inch or slightly smaller casserole dish.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle flour into pan. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cook until it bubbles and thickens.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Turn heat off and stir in cheese a handful at a time until completely melted.
- Mix in pasta and short ribs. (I like to set aside 1/2 cup of the short rib meat to scatter on top.)
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. In a small bowl combine Panko crumbs, melted butter, and thyme. Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese along with reserved short rib meat.
- Bake for 25 minutes.