Shredded Beef Short Ribs are cooked until fall apart tender in a delicious tomato-flavored sauce. Flavored with onions and garlic and a few red pepper flakes, these boneless short ribs are so easy to make, even for the novice chef. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice for an amazing meal.
I’m a firm believer that short ribs are right up there with the most delicious foods ever and I don’t cook them nearly enough. You just can’t beat the flavor of short ribs. They are pure comfort food and I love them served on mashed potatoes with peas or green beans for a down home meal.
Boneless Beef Short Ribs
You’ll need 4 pounds of boneless beef short ribs for this recipe. If you can’t locate them in the meat case of the grocery store, just make friends with the butcher. He can hook you up.
Slow Cook In Dutch Oven
Shredded Beef Short Ribs are slow cooked in a Dutch oven with onion, garlic, ketchup, condensed tomato soup, cider vinegar for a little tang, and crushed red pepper flakes for just a little heat. These ribs are absolutely packed with flavor!
You will need a good quality Dutch oven with a heavy bottom for this recipe. I love the Lodge Cast Iron Enamel Dutch Oven. It is a beautiful color and cooks roasts, stews and soups to perfection.
More Short Ribs Recipes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup condensed tomato soup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Place half the short ribs in the Dutch oven and sear on all sides Remove to a plate and sear the remaining short ribs. Place them with the other short ribs.
- If necessary, add another tablespoon of oil to the Dutch oven. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. (You may need to turn the heat down some so that they do not burn.)
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add beef broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits on bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Add remaining ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. When mixture comes to a simmer, return short ribs to the Dutch oven.
- Cover and cook on low heat (enough to just maintain a simmer) for about 2 hours. You will know they are done when you can shred them fairly easily.
- Remove short ribs to a bowl. Turn heat up and reduce the sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Shred short ribs with 2 forks and ladle sauce over them.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Simply Done. Well Done
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.