Roasted Garlic and Bacon Mashed Potatoes are a delicious and creamy side dish to add to the Thanksgiving table or any meal.
Is there anyone on this planet who doesn’t like mashed potatoes? I don’t think so. Along with turkey, mashed potatoes are a must on the Thanksgiving table. Of course plain mashed potatoes are irresistible on their own, but these have heightened flavor from roasted garlic and bacon.
Next to cooking mashed potatoes in a crockpot, these Roasted Garlic and Bacon Mashed Potatoes might be my favorite way to make mashed potatoes. The sweetness of the roasted garlic combined with the saltiness of the bacon makes them a stand out. Roasting garlic really mellows and sweetens its flavor and it is super easy to do. I used russet potatoes, but you could also use Yukon gold potatoes. I think they make an even creamier mashed potato.
This year add some extra flavor to your Thanksgiving with Roasted Garlic and Bacon Mashed Potatoes.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 tablespoon pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut off very top of garlic head. Drizzle olive oil into garlic and wrap in foil. Place in oven for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven, cover with water, and add 1 teaspoon salt to water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain well.
- Place half-and-half in Dutch oven and heat over medium heat until warm. Remove from heat and add potatoes. Add butter pieces.
- Squeeze garlic from skins into Dutch oven. Add remaining salt and the pepper. Mash well with a potato masher.
- Mix in bacon and green onions.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Mashed Potato Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.