Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole is an ultra rich and creamy casserole with 3 types of cheese. Makes a great Thanksgiving side and also goes great with chicken, beef, or pork.
Three Types Of Cheese
There’s 3 types of cheese in this casserole for tons of cheesy flavor: cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan.
Type of Potatoes
Yukon Gold potatoes are best for this recipe. They are great for mashed potatoes because they have an ultra creamy texture and buttery taste.
A full cup of butter and 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half make for an ultra creamy and rich casserole. With such a rich taste, it’s more of a special occasion casserole than an every day casserole.
This casserole can be prepared up to 8 hours in advance and then baked just before serving.
Panko Crumb Topping
To give the casserole a little texture and more flavor, there’s a buttery Panko crumb topping with a little Parmesan cheese.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Recipe Tips Recipe Tips
All you need to mash the potatoes is a hand-held potato masher like this one.
For a little extra flavor, you can sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
More Great Holiday Sides
- Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach– a delicious southern twist on creamed spinach.
- Southern Cornbread Stuffing– seasoned with sage, onions, and celery. It’s a classic that makes it to the Thanksgiving table year after year.
- Savannah Seafood Stuffing– full of shrimp and crab and lots of onion, celery, and red bell pepper.
- Scalloped Potato Casserole
- Southern Broccoli Casserole– wonderfully creamy and cheesy and has a buttery cracker crumb topping.
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and halved or quartered
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Place potatoes and a tablespoon of salt in a pot. Add water to cover by 1 inch.Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Add butter and mash until smooth.Stir in half-and-half, salt, pepper, and green onions.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and mozzarella until melted.Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together Panko topping ingredients. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes.