Pork Chops with Creamy Apples and Cabbage is an all-in-one fall meal you are going to love. Seared and roasted pork chops are served over creamy cabbage with apples and bacon. So delicious!
Before everyone becomes completely focused on turkey, here’s a delicious meal that’s a fall favorite of mine. Thick cut, juicy pork chops marinated in garlic and thyme, pan-seared to a nice golden color and then roasted in the oven. Served on top of an insanely creamy (we’re talking heavy cream) cabbage and apples dish and sprinkled with crispy pieces of bacon.
This Pork Chops with Creamy Cabbage and Apples recipe is fall comfort food at its best. The cabbage is rich, a little sweet from the apple, and a little tangy from the Dijon mustard. Together it’s a whole lot of good.
Pork is a favorite of mine to cook year round, but in the fall I really find myself cooking it again and again. It goes so well with fall flavors, especially cabbage and apples.
Marinate The Pork
The recipe calls for marinating the pork with the thyme and garlic for 24 hours, but it’s ok if you forget to get it going the day before. Do it in the morning and it should pick up plenty of flavor from the garlic and thyme. That is what I ended up doing.
I actually only cooked 2 pork chops because they were so huge. It doesn’t make very good presentation to cut a pork chop up to serve 2 people, but for a family dinner at home, who cares? Leftovers hardly ever get eaten in our house unless I eat them for lunch so I try not to have any extra.
Pork is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. The temperature will continue to rise a little after it is removed from the oven so I like to take it out around 140 degrees. An instant read thermometer is really handy. You definitely don’t want to overcook it or it will get dry and tough.
More Pork Chops Recipes
- Easy Oven-Barbecued Pork Chops
- Creamy Parmesan Pork Chops
- Smothered Southern Pork Chops
- Stuffing Topped Pork Chops
Pork Chops with Creamy Cabbage and Apples
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- Four 12-ounce bone-in pork-loin chops
- 3 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple- peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large, shallow dish combine 1/4 cup olive oil, thyme sprigs, and garlic. Add pork chops and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until browned. Remove bacon and set aside. Discard all but 1/2 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add butter and cabbage to skillet, cover and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apple and vinegar, cover and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Apple should be tender.
- Stir in mustard and cream and simmer uncovered until the cream has thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet until shimmering.
- Remove pork from marinade, discarding thyme sprigs and scraping off garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and place in the hot skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until nicely browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place skillet in oven and cook for about 12 minutes, until just slightly pink in center.
- To serve, place cabbage on a plate, sprinkle with bacon, and top with pork chop.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted November 20, 2013.
Recipe Source: adapted from Food and Wine
13 thoughts on “Pork Chops with Creamy Cabbage and Apples”
My Irish family would go crazy for this! Pinning to try for dinner soon 🙂
This looks like a perfect dinner meal, I especially love the creamy cabbage. I love cabbage so whenever I see it in a recipe I get extra excited!
This looks like the perfect fall meal indeed! I love the combo of apples and pork, and if cream is involved, you know it’s going to be stellar! 😉
Oh I love apples with savory dishes like meat!! Such a great combo!! Looks delicious too!!!
We always enjoy pork chops in our house too – but for some reason I haven’t made them lately. This dinner looks so delicious – especially with the pork/apple combo which is always so good! And I love that it uses cabbage (another ingredient I don’t use enough!)
Just saying creamy cabbage and apples out loud makes me swoon. what a lovely dish!
I’m oddly obsessed with cabbage so I’m obviously obsessed with this as well, and who doesn’t love pork?! What perfect fall meal.
Impressive! I am so intimidated by pork chops, particularly thick cut ones. I usually over or under cook them so I rarely make them unless we’re talking relatively thin ones I can just bake up…These are serious-restaurant quality pork chops! A great change from all the turkey talk right now. : )
What a perfect meal! The pork chops look so perfectly seasoned and I love the combination of cabbage and apple.
What a great hearty and comforting meal! My hubby loves pork chops and it sounds great with the creamy cabbage and apples. Great fall recipe 🙂
As you know, we don’t eat much meat in our household, but lately i’ve been getting cravings for pork chops (Nate hates them), so I just buy some, season them up and pop them under the broiler. So good! One day soon I’ll have to doctor them up a bit more and this cabbage/apple mix sounds amazing 🙂
I love meals like this, and while I love them, I don’t make pork chops enough. That creamy apple cabbage sounds divine!
Lovely recipe! I like how you added cabbage; I never know what to do with green cabbage so this will make a nice addition with pork chops.