Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef anf Rice is a quick and easy meal for busy weeknights that’s wonderfully cheesy and rich. It can be made in under 30 minutes.
This Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice recipe is a great way to turn ground beef into an inexpensive and filling meal.
I love using my Instant Pot in the kitchen. It is such a huge timesaver. I really like that you can brown meat in the Instant Pot and not have to dirty any pots or pans. Such a huge timesaver when it comes to clean-up. The Instant Pot is also wonderful at melding together lots of different flavors quickly.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice
Be sure to use long grain rice and once the dish is cooked, let it sit for a few minutes before dishing it up to let the rice fluff.
Instead of using ground beef, you could use ground turkey, chicken, or even sausage.
To make this dish spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Instead of adding corn, you could add peas.
Beef broth can be substituted for the chicken broth for a richer flavor.
Be sure to let the Instant Pot heat up before adding the ground beef so that it will not stick.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
The combination of ground beef, rice, and cheese in a creamy tomato sauce is comfort food the whole family will love.
Try These Other One Dish Instant Pot Meals
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Jalapeno Popper Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Instant Pot Cream Cheese Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Pasta
Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice
- 1 teaspoon butter or oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teapsoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 cup canned or frozen and defrosted corn, drained
- 2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese or a cheddar/monterey jack mixture
- Turn Instant Pot to "saute" mode. When hot, add the butter or oil and coat the bottom. Add the ground beef and cook and crumble it until no pink remains. Turn Instant Pot off.
- While ground beef cooks, mix together the chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a medium bowl.
- Pour chicken broth mixture into the Instant Pot and add the corn. Stir to mix and be sure there is nothing stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add rice. Do NOT stir. Use a spoon to make sure all the rice is submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and set to "Pressure Cook" for 8 minutes. Be sure valve is in sealing position.
- Do a quick pressure release and then remove the lid. Add cheese, stir it in. Replace the lid for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Check for seasoning and add more salt if desired.
10 thoughts on “Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice”
Yummy! I just with the instructions were a tad clearer on what to do with the beef after cooked… but even after 3 food burns I made it work by using sauté mode….
This was a really good recipe and not too hard to cook. You definitely will need to season more when it’s finished, it was very bland with the listed seasonings. Will make this again many times I’m sure.
This was tasty…I think I will take your suggestion to use Beef Broth next time. Thank you for the recipe.
If you double the recipe do you have to adjust the time?
I’m going to try to make this on the stovetop. This reminds me of my favorite Hamburger Helper.
How do you keep from getting the burn indication on the instant pot.
I just made it and I didn’t stir when I added the corn or the rice – they were layered on top. No burn notice!
You have to scrape the bottom a lot before putting in the corn and rice.
How do you make it without an Instant pot
Tried it however I kept getting the “Burn” indication on the pot. Other than that the food cooked and the rice soft so added cheeze. Tasty