Farmstand Cornbread is a delicious summer cornbread topped with corn, okra, tomatoes, jalapenos, zucchini, red onion and thyme, plus some feta cheese.
Whether you have a garden in your backyard with a bounty of vegetables or you frequent your local farmers market, this is a wonderful way to utilize all your summer vegetables.
Especially if you have a few odds and ends to use up.
You could totally customize this Farmstand Cornbread. Instead of fresh thyme you could use fresh basil for even more summery flavor. Or switch out the feta cheese for goat cheese or even cheddar cheese.
This cornbread is super easy to make. It takes a little more time to make than regular cornbread because of all the chopping, but you can practically make a meal of it.
For the best result, you’ll want to use a cast iron pan. and preheat it in the oven. This helps the edges of the cornbread get crispy.
Corn kernels, chopped jalapenos, and chopped red bell pepper get mixed into the cornbread so that there’s lots of flavor throughout the cornbread, not just on top. Every bite has tons of garden flavor!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno
- 5 okra pods, cut in half lengthwise
- 5 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour oil into a 10-inch cast iron pan. Heat in oven for about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients.
- Add corn, red bell pepper, and jalapeno and stir everything together just until combined.
- Carefully pour into hot pan. Scatter all toppings EXCEPT feta cheese and thyme and rosemary on top. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with feta cheese and herbs and return to oven for 3-8 minutes or until firm in center.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Adapted from Southern Cast Iron
More Cornbread Recipes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.