Easy Shrimp Spread served with crackers is the perfect southern appetizer for no-fuss entertaining. It’s a retro recipe that has never waned in popularity.
This recipe is a breeze to whip up and it can just hang out in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. Plus you can use canned shrimp so that you have all the ingredients on hand.
Chopped tiny shrimp are combined with cream cheese, mayonnaise, grated onion, lemon juice, and horseradish. Since it is served chilled, it makes a great summer appetizer but I also love it for holiday entertaining. It has a really mild and creamy flavor, but the horseradish gives it a little zip. You could also add a little Old Bay seasoning.
How To Make
To make this Easy Shrimp Spread mix together 8 ounces of cream cheese and 1/4 cup of mayonnaise in a large bowl. A hand-held mixer makes this quick and easy. Next add in the grated onion, horseradish, and garlic salt. Stir in chopped tiny shrimp. For the best flavor, chill it at least 1 hour before serving.
A hand-held electric mixer is helpful for getting a really smooth and creamy texture.
Tips For Making Easy Shrimp Spread
You can use fresh baby shrimp if you wish.
There are lots of advantages to using canned shrimp. They are already cooked, peeled, and deveined and they are fairly inexpensive.
You do want to give the canned shrimp a quick rinse before using.
This simple recipe is always a southern favorite both for its ease of preparation and its super creamy taste. Serve with your favorite crackers or toasted baguette. It is also delicious with potato chips.
More Easy Appetizers
- Spicy Party Shrimp
- Crab Imperial
- Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Curried Crab Dip
- Vidalia Onion Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 (4-ounce) cans tiny shrimp, drained and rinsed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until creamy and smooth.
- Mix in onion, horseradish and garlic salt.
- Set aside a few shrimp. Chop the rest and stir into cream cheese mixture.
- Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the set aside whole shrimp and the green onions on top. Chill for at least one hour before serving.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.