Easy Nacho Potato Soup with Smoked Sausage is so easy to make with a box of Au Gratin potatoes. Wonderfully cheesy and creamy, this cold weather soup is hard to resist.
Quick and Easy Recipe
Soup really doesn’t get any easier than this recipe. Just 7 ingredients and 22 minutes needed.
I love to buy boxed Au Gratin potatoes. When I was first married, they were a regular part of my meal planning. They are so easy to make and I could always find a coupon for them. This easy Nacho Potato Soup with Smoked Sausage turns boxed Au Gratin potatoes into a delicious Tex-Mex style soup. It’s a little spicy and so cheesy.
How To Make Easy Nacho Potato Soup With Smoked Sausage
You’ll combine a full box of Au Gratin potatoes with 2 cups of water, a can of drained corn, and an undrained can of Rotel tomatoes in a large saucepan. Simmer for 15 to 18 minutes to soften the potatoes.
While it simmers, brown 8 ounces of sliced smoked sausage in a nonstick skillet. Once the potatoes are tender, add 2 cups of milk, 16 ounces of cubed Velveeta cheese, the sausage, and a little hot sauce to the soup. Let it heat just for a few minutes and then stir until the cheese is melted.
Such a quick and easy recipe for a tasty weeknight meal. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh bread for a full meal. The kids will love it!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Meatball and Tortellini Soup
- Mac and Cheese Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crock Pot Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Easy Nacho Potato Soup with Smoked Sausage
- 1 box Au gratin potatoes, I use Betty Crocker
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, I use Chipotle TABASCO
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, stir together contents from box of Au gratin poatoes with water, corn and Rotel tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Make sure potatoes are submerged. Cover and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a nonstick pan in a little oil.
- Add milk, Velveeta cheese, hot sauce, and smoked sausage to the Dutch oven. Place lid back on for about 2 minutes. Stir until cheese is melted. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
5 thoughts on “Easy Nacho Potato Soup with Smoked Sausage”
Do you use the au gratin sauce too or just the potatoes?
I use Betty Crocker which comes with a powder, not a sauce. And yes, I use it. I think it will work just as well with a sauce packet.
Thia soup was amazing n has been now become a family favorite
This soup is the bomb. Totally! I need to make it NOW. 🙂
I’ve made this many times. Love it! I’ve even added cooked shrimp. Very yummy and filling!