Chocolate Covered Bourbon Soaked Twinkies are definitely an adult-only treat. And this guilty pleasure is perfect for a Kentucky Derby Party. Store-bought Twinkies are soaked with bourbon, dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt.
It’s a given that bourbon goes well with chocolate and it turns out bourbon goes well with Twinkies too.
Last fall I took a wonderful trip to Louisville, Kentucky. There was a candy store in the Butchertown neighborhood called Cellar Door Chocolates that had all kinds of bourbon-flavored candy including Chocolate Covered Bourbon Soaked Twinkies. The flavor was so awesome I was inspired to try and make my own.
I do love a good Twinkie recipe and what’s not to love about adding bourbon to a dessert?
They were a little tricky to make because if too much of the bourbon comes in contact with the chocolate, the chocolate will start to seize up. If you have something you can inject the bourbon into the middle of the twinkie with, that may be a better way to go.
The finished Twinkies have a crunchy chocolate coating encapsulating a spongy, bourbon-flavored Twinkie with that wonderful cream inside. For bourbon lovers only 🙂
Try these other recipes using Twinkies
Chocolate Covered Bourbon Soaked Twinkies
- Place twinkies on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Slowly drizzle 1 teaspoon of bourbon over each twinkie. They will easily soak up the bourbon.
- Break candy coating into squares and place in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Stir and microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Stick a lolipop stick in the end of each twinkie and dip the twinkie into the melted chocolate. I like to use a rubber spatula to spread the chocolate all around the twinkie. Set twinkie back on parchment paper. Repeat.
- Sprinkle twinkies with sea salt.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.