Chicken Pot Pie with Lattice Top is comfort food like no other. This family favorite has a thick and creamy filling loaded with chicken, carrots, and peas. On top is a Flaky Pie Crust done in a lattice pattern. This recipe perfectly combines the rich and savory flavors of a chicken pot pie into a casserole form.
This Chicken Pot Pie with Lattice Top is made from scratch with no canned soup anything. But it is really not at all difficult to make. Both the filling and the pie crust can be made ahead of time, even a day or two in advance. Then you just need to assemble it and bake it just before eating.
For the pie crust, I love to use White Lily flour. I had the pleasure of spending some time in the kitchen last fall with Linda Carmen who heads up the test kitchen at Martha White/White Lily. She taught me some fabulous tips for making Flaky Pie Crust.
Watch this video below to see how easy it is to make a delicious, homemade pie crust.
White Lily flour has long been a favorite amongst southern cooks because it produces incredibly light and fluffy baked goods, especially biscuits. White Lily flour is a soft wheat flour that is lower in protein and gluten than your typical all-purpose flour. It’s texture is very light and silky. When combined with vegetable shortening it makes a supremely flaky pie crust.
White Lily Flour is not sold everywhere, but you can find it online.
There’s nothing better than an old-fashioned, from scratch chicken pot pie. A beautiful, flaky lattice pie crust makes it look even more enticing. One bite of this Chicken Pot Pie and you’ll be ready to make another.
Never miss a recipe. Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Chicken Pot Pie with Lattice Top
- 2 cups White Lily flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening, chilled
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Make Pie Dough. Combine White Lily flour and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut shortening in until mixture is crumbly. Starting at one side of the bowl and working your way across the bowl, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over flour mixture and work it in with a fork. Sprinkle the next tablespoon beside the part you just worked in, and continue across the bowl until there is no dry flour left.
- Shape dough into a flat rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 7x11-inch baking dish.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, and onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk.Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and poultry seasoning.
- Stir in chicken and peas and pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Roll dough out into a large rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3/4-inch wide strips to fit both across the long way and the short way.
- Arrange strips in lattice pattern and brush with egg.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden.