These Cheesy Potatoes are absolutely drowning in cheese sauce! It doesn’t get any better than potatoes and cheese, especially when the ratio of potatoes to cheese is heavy on the cheese.
A combination of velveeta cheese plus some cheddar cheese sprinkled on top gives these Cheesy Potatoes plenty of cheese flavor.
The potatoes are first boiled until tender. You can use any type of potato. I use russet. Peel them and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Once tender, drain them well and place them in a baking dish.
Make a quick roux with butter and flour, whisking in some milk and seasoning with seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add some cubed velveeta cheese and stir until smooth. Then pour the mixture over the potatoes.
Sprinkle with cheddar and bake for 20 minutes.
Cheesy Potatoes go great with any type of pork and they’re very filling so they’re perfect for when you have a few extra people at your dinner table.
Never miss a recipe. Click HERE to sign up for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 5 to 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add about a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until just tender, but still a little firm.
- Drain potatoes and place in a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Sprinkle flour into pan. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Remove from heat. Add Velveeta and stir until melted. Pour sauce over potatoes.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Bake in a 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Sweet Tea and Cornbread
More Potato Recipes
Cheesy Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
9 thoughts on “Cheesy Potatoes”
Forgot to add that these do freeze well. The potatoes are very soft if frozen and recooked.
Closest thing to what my mother always made. She never left a recipe so I searched and found this recipe. I add parsley flakes for color.
So delicious and easy to make!
How do I make for 12 servings.
These are Delicious!!! Will add these to our regualar.
Can you make ahead and freeze
Love potatoes like this.
These are great and oh so easy! I add green peppers and onions for added goodness!
For someone who loves cheese as much as I do, this recipe is heaven! Thanks for sharing!