Cheesy Potatoes with Smoked Sausage are a super cheesy and creamy side dish with sliced smoked sausage. This potato dish is pure comfort food and can be eaten as a side or a main dish.
I love just a simple side of Cheesy Potatoes, but there’s nothing better than meat and potatoes. With this recipe you get both in every bite. The slices of smoked sausage add so much salty, meaty flavor to this side dish.
These potatoes are fabulously cheesy. Almost like mac and cheese with potatoes instead of pasta. I use a combination of Velveeta cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. I know alot of people don’t like Velveeta cheese, but I love how creamy and smooth it makes the cheese sauce. With Velveeta, there’s no risk of the cheese sauce breaking or getting grainy. The Velveeta adds lots of creaminess and a cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese really ups the cheese flavor.
It’s not necessary to brown the sausage beforehand since it is already fully cooked, but I love the way smoked sausage tastes when it is browned and crispy. It adds so much flavor.
You can use any kind of smoked sausage. My favorite is kielbasa.
More Potato Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Country Ranch Green Beans and Potatoes
- Shake and Bake Ranch Potatoes
- Melting Potatoes
Cheesy Potatoes with Smoked Sausage
- 4 cups diced, peeled russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (14-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and boil until just tender. You want them a little undercooked because they will cook more in the oven.Drain well. Place in prepared baking dish.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and sausage and cook until sausage is browned. Remove sausage from skillet and place in the prepared baking dish with potatoes.
- Wipe skillet clean and add butter. Melt over medium heat. Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in half-and-half. Bring to a simmer. Add garlic powder.
- Turn heat to low and add velveeta. Stir until melted.
- Add half the cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and sausage. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from 4 Sons “R” Us
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Cheesy Potatoes with Smoked Sausage”
Good not great. The potatoes are missing something, and the cheese sauce is too flour-y tasting.