Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze and toasted walnuts make a decadent Spring breakfast. They’d be perfect for an Easter brunch. If you’re a fan of carrot cake, these orange-hued pancakes have your name written all over them. I love them every bit as much as this Carrot Coffee Cake.
The base for these Carrot Cake Pancakes is a buttermilk pancake batter with grated carrots and toasted walnuts added to it plus all the spices you would find in a carrot cake- cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. On top, a thick and creamy cream cheese glaze made from softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
You could add a drizzle of maple syrup to these pancakes but I think the cream cheese glaze makes them decadent enough.
Pancakes are my absolute favorite breakfast. It’s hard to go wrong with classic Buttermilk pancakes, but I also like to make fun, over-the-top pancakes that are more like dessert then breakfast. Like Double Stuffed Oreo Pancakes, Cake Batter Pancakes and Banana Pudding Pancakes. Or this pancake version of Carrot Cake.
It’s a springtime favorite.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT CAKE PANCAKES:
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the brown sugar, buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well and add to the flour mixture. Mix just until there are no clumps of flour.
- Fold in the carrots and walnuts.
- Cook pancakes on a hot griddle or skillet using 1/4 cup of batter for each. Flip them over when bubbles form on the tops.
- To make the glaze, beat the cream cheese, milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
You can have the taste of carrot cake for breakfast!! These carrot cake pancakes taste just like dessert and are covered in a thick cream cheese glaze.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts, plus extra for serving
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt in a large bowl. Stir together with a whisk.
Combine brown sugar, buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs. Mix together and then add to the flour mixture.
Mix until there are no large clumps of flour.
Fold in the carrots and walnuts.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto pan for each pancake.
Cook for about 2 minutes, flip over and continue to cook until the pancakes are set in the middle.
To make glaze, use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese, milk, vanilla extract and powdered sugar together until smooth.
Note: Be sure to shred the carrots very well so that they are not crunchy. I process mine in the food processor.
The pancake batter is thick. Spread it our with the back of a ladle and be sure your heat isn't too high or the outsides will burn before the inside cooks.
Pecans can be substituted for walnuts.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.