Tomorrow is National Flag Day so I thought I would share this adorable Flag Brownie which not only is a great way to celebrate Flag Day but makes a fun 4th of July dessert.
I made a homemade brownie batter, but you could use a brownie mix. You would probably want to use 2 boxes of brownie mix.
My brownies were a little on the thin side and a boxed brownie would probably be even thinner if you only used 1 box.
Once baked and cooled, the brownie is covered with a thin layer of white frosting. I just used store-bought frosting but you could make your own. A cream cheese frosting would be really good.
The fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries are arranged to make a flag pattern.
Finally the space between the strawberry rows is filled in by piping rows of frosting using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
The combination of chocolate, frosting, and fresh fruit makes a delicious and festive party dessert.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 (16-ounce) containers white frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9X13-inch pan with aluminum foil. Make sure the foil extends up the sides so that you will be able to lift the brownies out of the pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in sugar and coca powder.
- Make sure mixture is not hot and then whisk in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Lift brownie out of pan and place on a serving tray. Spread with a thin layer of frosting.
- Arrange blueberries in rows in top left corner. Place strawberry slices in 5 rows.
- Place remaining frosting in a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting between rows of strawberries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Adapted from Celebrate! with Woman’s World magazine