Broccoli Cauliflower Tetrazzini is a creamy, vegetarian pasta casserole with lots of Parmesan cheese flavor and a buttery Panko crumb topping.
Chicken (or Turkey after Thanksgiving) Tetrazzini is always a family favorite of ours. But since my daughter became vegetarian a few years ago, I had to learn ways to cook some of her favorite foods without the meat. Broccoli and Cauliflower Tetrazzini is every bit as comforting and delicious as Chicken Tetrazzini but can be enjoyed by vegetarians too.
Broccoli and cauliflower are two of my favorite vegetables. I know there are many people who don’t like cauliflower and if that is the case, just use all broccoli. Or all cauliflower if you’re not a fan of broccoli. Carrots would also be really good in this dish.
There aren’t many people who can resist a creamy pasta dish with Parmesan cheese and a crunchy bread crumb topping. Even the meat lover in your family will be a fan of this meal.
I use fettuccine, but linguine or spaghetti work well too. You could even use farfalle, shells, or penne.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Broccoli Cauliflower Tetrazzini
- 10-12 ounces fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
- 2 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (4.5-oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower until just tender. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees a grease a casserole dish.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked fettuccine and broccoli and cauliflower to pan and stir to mix in. Transfer to prepared casserole dish and top with Panko crumbs and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.