A buttery, crispy grilled cheese sandwich with two kinds of cheese and leftover brisket makes one heck of a lunch. This Brisket Grilled Cheese is packed with flavor.
Last week, I shared a recipe for Oven-Barbecued Beef Brisket that makes one of the best briskets I have ever eaten. When I make a brisket for my family, we always have leftovers and this Brisket Grilled Cheese is one of my favorite ways to use those leftovers.
With gooey melted cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese and pieces of tender slow-cooked brisket, this is a delicious, drool-worthy sandwich. It’s a stick-to-your-ribs kind of meal.
I love it because you don’t need much brisket, so it’s a good meal to make when you just have a small amount of leftovers. A little brisket goes a long way in these sandwiches.
In terms of comfort food, grilled cheese is right up there with mac and cheese as the ultimate comfort food. And adding brisket takes it to a whole new level.
Never miss a recipe! Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
Try These Other Grilled Cheese Recipes:
- Greek Grilled Cheese– stuffed full of roasted red peppers, sliced pepperoncini peppers, kalamata olives, and red onion with lots of feta and mozzarella cheese.
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese– with a sweet and tangy ground beef filling.
- Corned Beef Grilled Cheese– A stack of salty corned beef, topped with sweet caramelized onions, and gooey melted cheese- Yum!
- Fried Green Tomato and Bacon Grilled Cheese
Brisket Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices Italian bread or Texas toast
- 1 cup heaping shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heaping shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2-3 slices leftover brisket, shredded
- Spread about 1/2 tablespoon on one side of each piece of bread. To make a sandwich, place a piece of bread buttered-side down.
- Cover the unbuttered side with shredded Cheddar cheese, then a layer of brisket, followed by a layer of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Place another piece of bread unbuttered side down on top. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.
- Heat a pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Cook 1 or 2 sandwiches at a time, until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published July 15, 2015.
20 thoughts on “Brisket Grilled Cheese”
I’ve been cooking brisket for years. This is hands down a simple and amazing way to use any leftover brisket.
My wife made it as directed the first time. It was amazing.
Next time we will add some jalapeno and maybe onion.
Would you reheat the brisket 1st if so how and would you add Bbq sauce?
This is one of those recipes that you make and you think this can’t taste this good from the simple ingredients I used. Wow. These are amazing. Grilled cheese will never be the same. I made these last night with leftover brisket from the weekend. I used a large thick baguette and made mini sandwiches with sliced ‘Southwest’ cheese I found at the grocery store (4 different cheeses marbled with chipotle), thin slices of the brisket that I quickly heated in a pan, and smoked provolone. Served with seasoned, roasted, cubed potatoes and spicy pickles. Honestly, I’m turning into less and less of a meat eater but this was heaven on a plate. Thanks so much for sharing!
Making this using pulled pork from last night.
And it turned out amazing!
This looks delicious! I’m thinking of adding avocado and onion to mine!
This looks awesome and I plan to make it tonight but I’m wondering if it would be OK to add sautéed mushrooms.
Mushrooms would be great in it!
Christin, this looks so delicious! Brisket is one of our favorite cuts of meat. I love how it just gets better the longer it sits in the fridge! This sandwich is definitely going on my “to make” list!
Love the idea of using brisket in grilled cheese sandwich.. looks delicious!!
I love this — this is totally our kind of sandwich! Definitely have to check out that brisket recipe!
This is a great way to perk up grilled cheese. These photos are mouth-watering!
I was already hungry for dinner and now I am officially starving! This looks amazing!
I love doing this with pulled pork. These brisket grilled cheese sandwiches look amazing! Would make sense to make the brisket just for these sandwiches! : )
This looks fabulous!! I am cooking a brisket this weekend….can’t wait for the leftovers 🙂
OMGosh, my mouth is totally watering at these. Christin, these are out of this world.
What a great idea for a grilled cheese! This sandwich looks incredible!
I love Oven-Barbecued Beef Brisket!!! and making this grilled cheese is brilliant! this looks amazing!!!
That’s a delicious way to use leftovers! Or maybe to make some leftovers 😉
I love that you put your leftover brisket into a grilled cheese!! You can never go wrong with grilled cheese 🙂
I’ve never thought to use leftover brisket in grilled cheese! What a great idea, Christin! This looks like the ultimate sandwich!