BBQ Grilled Chicken is perfectly tender and covered in a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce. It’s wonderfully easy to make and it’s the perfect summer cookout BBQ chicken recipe.
I almost always grill using a gas grill. It is so easy to control the heat on a gas grill. The key to really good BBQ chicken on the grill is to not grill it too fast over high heat. It should take 45 minutes to an hour on the grill so that it stays juicy and gets tender.
You can use a charcoal grill and place the coals on one side of the grill and grill the chicken on the opposite side.
This recipe is super easy. First of all, go ahead and get the chicken out of the refrigerator. You don’t want it to be too cold when you place it on the grill.
Mix all of the bbq sauce ingredients together in a saucepan and simmer the mixture for a few minutes. Set is aside.
Next, heat the grill to medium and be sure the grates are greased. Place the chicken on the grill and cook it for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally. If the skin is getting too charred, your grill is too hot. Turn the heat down a little.
Baste the chicken well and continue to grill it for about 15 minutes, basting about every 5 minutes. Serve with any leftover BBQ sauce.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe Tips:
Since chicken breasts are so large these days, I like to cut them into 2 pieces so they cook faster.
Leftovers will keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days.
The BBQ sauce has just a little heat from 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. If you want it spicy, double the amount of cayenne pepper.
Great Sides To Serve With This Recipe:
- Southern Potato Salad
- Best Way to Cook Corn on the Cob
- Baked Beans with Smoked Sausage
- Creamy Buttermilk Coleslaw
- Oatmeal Cookie Peach Cobbler
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, EXCEPT chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Note: Can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.
- Heat grill to medium and lightly grease the grates.Place chicken on grill and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Baste chicken with sauce. Continue to grill and baste with sauce every 5 minutes for 15 more minutes. Serve with any leftover sauce.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.