Tex Mex Turkey Burgers make a light in healthy meal when you can’t decide whether you want Mexican food or burgers. They are served on a crispy tortilla instead of a bun and are flavored with jalapeno peppers, chipotle peppers and topped with Avocado-Corn Salsa and Spicy Mayo.
I love the way they taste with the crispy tortilla, but there’s no easy way to eat them. You definitely can’t pick them up with your hands and even a knife and fork is a little messy.
But the awesome flavor is worth the difficult task of getting them in your mouth.
Turkey burgers can be a little dry and bland but these Tex-Mex Turkey Burgers have plenty of ingredients added to flavor them up: a cupful of chopped onion which also helps keep them moist, and chopped pickled jalapenos and chipotle peppers for heat.
They get even more spice from a spicy mayo that is flavored with ancho chili powder and adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers.
My favorite part (besides the crispy tortilla) is the avocado corn salsa which really helps tame the heat.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Tex Mex Turkey Burgers make a light in healthy meal when you can't decide whether you want Mexican food or burgers. They are served on a crispy tortilla instead of a bun and are flavored with jalapeno peppers, chipotle peppers and topped with Avocado-Corn Salsa and Spicy Mayo.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, about 2 ears
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime
- 4 small flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place ground turkey in a large bowl.
- Place onion, jalapenos, chipotle pepper, cumin, and garlic cloves in a food processor and process to form a paste. Add to turkey.
- Mix paste into turkey and form 4 patties. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Saute onion for 1 minute. Add corn and garlic and saute 2 to 3 more minutes. Place in a medium bowl. Stir in avocado, cilantro, salt, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1 teaspoon lime zest.
- Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Season turkey patties with salt and pepper. Grill turkey patties for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done.
- Coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Heat in a nonstick pan on both sides until crispy.
- Stir together mayonnaise, adobo sauce, ancho chili powder, and salt.
- To serve, place turkey burgers on top of tortillas and top with mayo and salsa.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living