Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with Alabama White BBQ Sauce is a different take on pulled chicken that has so much flavor. Shredded white meat chicken is slow cooked with onion, paprika, garlic and a little liquid smoke. It is then shredded and tossed with an Alabama White Sauce.
I absolutely love Alabama White Sauce. It is such a nice change from the traditional red barbecue sauce. Alabama White Sauce is mayonnaise-based and it is so easy to make. No cooking required. Just mix all the ingredients in a bowl. It has so much flavor and is wonderfully creamy and tangy. The sauce is made from mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, vinegar, a little sugar, salt and pepper and a touch of caenne pepper. So simple and good.
I use bone-in white meat, but you could use boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. I think the bone helps add a little flavor and keeps the chicken from drying out. As a bonus, bone-in chicken costs less. The bones are really easy to remove when you shred the cooked chicken.
This Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with Alabama White BBQ Sauce makes delicious pulled chicken sandwiches and leftovers reheat well. You can also use it as a filling for burritos or quesadillas.
The longer you let the shredded chicken mingle with the sauce, the better it will taste.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles
- Crock Pot Bourbon Bacon Pulled Chicken
- Crock Pot Chipotle Pulled Chicken
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken with Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Remove skin from chicken and place chicken in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Sprinkle onion on top.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke. Pour over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- When chicken is done, remove it from the slow cooker. Discard all of the liquid in the slow cooker, except 1/4 cup. (You can discard the onions or return them to the slow cooker.)
- Shred the chicken, discarding the bones. Return chicken to the slow cooker along with the 1/4 cup liquid. Mix in 1/3 cup of sauce. Leave on WARM until ready to serve.
- Serve with additional sauce.
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.