Stuffed Mushrooms make such a fantastic party appetizer. These Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are a mixture of sausage, onion, garlic, stuffing mix, and Monterey Jack cheese. A little mayonnaise holds the filling together and makes it creamy.
The filling can be prepared ahead of time (even the day before). And the mushrooms can be stuffed ahead of time and refrigerated. Just add a few minutes to the baking time to compensate.
I love, love, love mushrooms and I think my favorite way to eat them is stuffed. They can be stuffed with pretty much anything and the options are endless.
Type Of Sausage
Use either hot, mild, or sweet Italian sausage depending on the amount of heat and the flavor you want. You could even use chorizo. That would be delicious.
Substitutions For Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
The Monterey Jack cheese could also be switched out for cheddar cheese or Parmesan or even mozzarella.
Since mushrooms have such a high water content, it’s best not to clean them in water. Instead wipe any dirt off with a damp paper towel.
More Mushroom Recipes
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Balsamic Mushrooms
- Green Bean Casserole Stuffed Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Spinach and Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Facebook.
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 18 large mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp paper towel
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mild or hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup herb stuffing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and finely chop them. (I cut off and discard the very end of the stem.)
- Place mushroom caps hollow side up on prepared baking sheet.
- Add olive oil to a nonstick pan and place over medium heat. Add sausage, mushroom stems, and onion. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break sausage into small pieces, until sausage is cooked through.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and let mixture cool.
- Stir in mayonnaise, stuffing mix, pepper, and cheese.
- Place a heaping spoonful of filling into each mushroom cap.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted September 21, 2016.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
7 thoughts on “Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms”
Absolutely delicious! Next time, I might crush the seasoned stuffing (mine had large bread cubes) just so it fit into the mushroom caps a little easier. Fabulous recipe. Thank you.
Do you cook stuffing or use the dry mix?
Use the dry mix.
these look so delicious!
These look incredible Christin! My hubby would be so grateful if he found these on his plate tonight! 🙂
Stuffed mushrooms are the way to my heart! If these were at a party I would never let them out of my sight!
Mushrooms of any kind are my favorite, so I have no doubt that I would devour these ALL! Love your gorgeous pictures, Christin!