Grilled salmon topped with a sweet and spicy barbecue sauce made from bourbon and peaches.
May is National Barbecue Month and we are definitely in the mood to fire up our grill and smoker and take the cooking outdoors. Being southern, we take our barbecue and our barbecue sauce seriously. In honor of National Barbecue Month, I’ve made this delicious barbecue sauce using two of my favorite (and very southern!) ingredients. Peaches and Bourbon. They are a match made in heaven. Bourbon is by far my favorite spirit to drink with and cook with. Just check out this page if you don’t believe me. I recently had the opportunity to sample Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon- Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Let me tell you, this bourbon is right up my alley. It happens to have a little spice to it and we know I like spicy! It is both a complexly flavored and smooth bourbon. Four Roses Bourbon is produced at a historic distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. (Can I tell you how badly I want to do one of those Kentucky Bourbon Trail tours?) In addition to a spicy kick at the end, Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon also has hints of molasses and maple syrup making it perfectly fitting for a #BourbonBBQ sauce.
The sweetness of fresh peaches is the perfect complement to the spicy tones in the bourbon. To round out the barbecue sauce, I added cider vinegar, Ketchup, molasses, chipotle chili powder, and a touch of allspice. I cooked it down until it was nice and thick. This Bourbon Peach Barbecue Sauce would be perfect on some pork or chicken, but I wanted to do something a little different and more suited to weeknight cooking and I basted it on some grilled salmon. Talk about yum!
I mean bourbon, peaches, and salmon. I’m making you hungry aren’t I? Salmon may not be the first thing you think of to put barbecue sauce on, but it is spectacular. Plus salmon is healthy and quick and easy to make, cooking up in just a matter of minutes. If you’re a fellow bourbon lover, you don’t want to miss out on this Four Roses Bourbon. So get yourself a bottle and then come back and tell me how much you love it. 🙂
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh peaches or frozen, defrosted
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Four Roses Bourbon
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 salmon filets
- Heat canola oil in a medium pot. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Simmer sauce for 20-30 minutes, or until it thickens up to your liking. Stir every now and then so the bottom does not burn.
- About halfway through cooking, use a potato masher to break down the peach chunks some. This will help thicken the sauce and distribute the flavor of the peaches.
- Heat gas grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat tops of salmon filets with oil.
- Cook salmon skin side up for about 4 minutes. Flip over and cook another 4-5 minutes, or until desired degree of doneness.
- Once salmon is almost done, coat with a thick layer of barbecue sauce. Serve additional sauce with salmon.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post, but I did receive bourbon to use for this sauce. All opinions are my own.