This Rum Cake is the ultimate party cake. With 1/2 cup of rum added to the batter and another 1/2 cup soaked into the baked cake, there’s a whole lot of delicious rum flavor in this cake. All of the rum makes for a super moist cake and it’s one of those cakes that just gets better with time.
There’s also some chopped walnuts for flavor and a little crunch. This is hands down the best rum cake I’ve ever had and it’s ideal for warm weather or holiday entertaining. Because this cake has so much rum, it’s best as an adult-only cake. But most of the alcohol cooks off, so no need to worry if your kids have a slice.
The flavor of this cake is light and buttery with just the right amount of rum flavor. You definitely want to use a good quality rum. I used some we got on a trip to Hawaii. We visited a wonderful distillery in Kauai called Koloa Rum. So many delicious rums!
This recipe calls for light rum but you could definitely use a darker rum and a coconut rum would be fabulous.
The cake batter has a box of instant pudding mix added which really helps make a moist and tender cake texture. I would say this cake tastes best when it is 2 to 3 days old so it is a great make ahead party dessert.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- You will need an electric mixer. I use a stand mixer, but you can use a hand-held mixer instead.
- 12-Cup Bundt Pan
For lots of short cooking videos, SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube Channel.
More Cake Recipes
- baking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white or golden rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with baking spray. Sprinkle walnuts into the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together flour, sugar, pudding mix, butter, baking powder, and salt for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, eggs, and coconut oil and mix on LOW for 2 minutes
- Add rum and vanilla and mix on LOW for 1 more minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool slightly while you make the Rum Syrup.
- To make rum syrup, combine butter, rum, brown sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Sugar should dissolve and syrup should thicken just slightly.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Leave cake in Bundt pan and poke holes all over the top with a skewer or toothpick or a fork. Slowly pour glaze over top of cake. It will not all absorb into the cake right away. Let sit 30 to 45 minutes and invert cake onto a cake stand or plate. Can be stored at room temperature.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contain affiliate links.