Crunchy crostini spread with cream cheese flavored with thyme, topped with slices of roasted pork tenderloin, and finished with a sweet and tangy red cabbage sauté with apples. It’s a scrumptious and impressive fall h’orduerve.
Pork, red cabbage, and apples are 3 ingredients that were meant for each other. There’s no third wheel in this equation. But the red cabbage is in my opinion the star of the show here. Oh how I love sweet and sour cabbage. I had to scold myself for eating it out of the pan with my fingers. I’ll be making this red cabbage-apple sauté as a side very soon.
This recipe for Pork Tenderloin Crostini is a little bit involved, but all parts can be made in advance and assembled last-minute for a fuss free party appetizer your guests won’t soon forget.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 French baguette
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ½ small Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2½ cups finely shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add pork and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate 2o minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and sear on all sides.
- Transfer skillet to oven and roast pork for 15-20 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 145 degrees. Cool pork completely and slice into ¼-inch slices.
- While pork cooks, slice baguette into ½-inch slices. Brush both sides with melted butter. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned around edges.
- Combine cream cheese, mayo, and thyme in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- For cabbage, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add apples and garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add cabbage and chicken broth. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates.
- To assemble, spread cream cheese mixture on one side of each bread slice. Top with 1 to 2 slices of pork. Pile red cabbage on top. Garnish with thyme if desired.
Recipe Source: adapted from Southern Lady Best Recipes 2013