Pecan Pie Cupcakes have a gooey pecan pie filling in the middle and are topped with a creamy brown sugar buttercream. There’s no better cupcake for Thanksgiving. These cupcakes have so much buttery, crunchy pecan flavor!
To simplify this recipe some, I started with a box of yellow cake mix and baked cupcakes according to the package directions. If you can find Butter Pecan cake mix, it would work really well too.
I then scooped out some of the middle of each cupcake to make room for a gooey and sweet pecan pie filling. It’s a nice little hidden surprise.
The cupcakes are then covered with a velvety smooth Brown Sugar Buttercream made with a dark brown sugar. It really has an awesome flavor that complements the pecan pie filling.
If you’re a fan of pecan pie, you must try these Pecan Pie Cupcakes and scroll down to find more pecan pie-inspired desserts.
Pecan Pie Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 heaping cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Frosting
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Bake 18 cupcakes according to box directions. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan stir together all filling ingredients EXCEPT pecans and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour into a bowl. Let mixture cool on the counter for 10 minutes and then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Scoop out the center of each cupcake. Fill with filling.
- In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar, water, and salt to a boil. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add 1/2 cup butter and stir until melted. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Combine cooled brown sugar mixture and remaining butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat in milk.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a large tip, frost the cupcakes.
More Pecan Pie Desserts
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.