Pecan Pie Layer Cake is a showstopper dessert for the holidays. A thick layer of pecan pie filling is sandwiched between two layers of brown sugar cake and the whole thing is covered in lots and lots of brown sugar icing.
I know most people associate pumpkin pie with Thanksgiving, but for me it is all about the pecan pie. It’s my very favorite fall pie.
I’m a huge fan of pies for the holidays but sometimes a cake is in order. You can feed alot of people with a cake!
And this Pecan Pie Layer Cake will be loved by all. It has buttery cake layers with crunchy pieces of pecan, a rich and gooey sweet filling and a light and creamy brown sugar frosting. This is one delicious cake!
Pecan Pie Cake
- 1 1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Brown Sugar Frosting
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 (9-inch) cake pans with cooking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper and lightly spray parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans in the bottoms of the pans.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and dark brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to evenly mix everything.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, beating just until combined after each addition. (Add flour mixture in 3 additions and milk in 2).
- Beat in vanilla.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing out the top with a spatula.
- Bake 32 to 36 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes and then remove from pans to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together pecans, sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Simmer and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Spread pecan filling on top of one cake layer. Place the second layer on top.
Make Brown Sugar Frosting
- In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar, water, and salt to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add 1/2 cup butter, stirring until melted. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine cooled brown sugar mixture and remaining butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Beat in milk. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake.
recipe adapted from Taste of the South
More Pecan Pie Desserts
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.