Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Nutella are absolutely magnificent. They are a fun twist on the classic holiday cookies featuring a peanut butter cookie with a chocolate kiss on top.
The creamy chocolate and hazelnut middle is the perfect complement to a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie. This cookie will be a favorite on the holiday cookie tray.
These Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies with Nutella are so perfect for the holidays. The cookie batter can be made up to 3 days in advance. Or it can be baked in batches. It makes about 30 cookies. Bake in 2 or three batches and you can enjoy warm cookies for days.
The peanut butter cookie dough has lots of peanut butter flavor. The dough gets shaped into balls and rolled in sugar for a little extra sweetness.
To place the Nutella in the middle, you can use a spoon, which is what I did. Or for a little cleaner look you can place the Nutella in a plastic bag and snip the corner with scissors. The Nutella can be easily piped into the the middle of the cookies.
These cookies will stay fresh for days if placed in an airtight container,
More Nutella Recipes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Nutella
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and 2/3 cup granulated sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Turn mixer on low and gradually add flour. Press plastic wrap down onto dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a 1 1/2-inch spring-loaded ice cream scoop to scoop dough. Roll each dough into a uniform ball.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl. Coat the balls in sugar. Place on baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Press thumb down in middle of each ball to make an indentation. Sprinkle a little more sugar on tops of cookies.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until just starting to turn light brown around the edges.
- Let cool a few minutes and then press bown on the middle of the cookies to make indentation bigger. Fill indentations with Nutella.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.