Okra Hush Puppies fry up crispy with little pieces of okra throughout. If you’re a lover of fried okra, you are going to love the way okra tastes in hush puppies! These hush puppies have such a unique and wonderful flavor.
Hush puppies are one of my favorite things to eat. They’re the best thing about going to a fish camp. I have a hard time not filling up on them before my meal comes.
As much as I love plain hush puppies dipped in honey butter, these Okra Hush Puppies take hush puppies to a new level. They’re like hush puppies with little bits of fried okra in them. So good!
This Okra Hush Puppy recipe is a recipe I have adapted slightly from Biscuit Head: New Southern Biscuits, Breakfast, and Brunch. Of my newer cookbooks, it is one of my favs!
Okra Hush Puppies were made for summer time!
Never miss a recipe. Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Okra Hush Puppies
- Vegetable oil
- 4 cups very thinly sliced okra
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups self-rising corn meal mix, I use House Autry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour about 2 inches of oil into a Dutch oven or deep pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine okra, garlic powder, onion, and parsley.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, and sugar. Pour into bowl with okra and stir to combine.
- Stir in the cornbread mix, salt, and pepper.
- Use a spoon or a small ice cream scoop to scoop the batter and drop it into the oil. Working in batches, fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve while still warm.
More Hush Puppy Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.