Okra Hush Puppies fry up crispy with little pieces of okra throughout. If you’re a lover of fried okra, you are going to love the way okra tastes in hush puppies! These hush puppies have such a unique and wonderful flavor.
Hush puppies are one of my favorite things to eat. They’re the best thing about going to a fish camp. I have a hard time not filling up on them before my meal comes.
As much as I love plain hush puppies dipped in honey butter, these Okra Hush Puppies take hush puppies to a new level. They’re like hush puppies with little bits of fried okra in them. So good!
Hush puppies are so easy and inexpensive to make. Here is my favorite recipe for plain hush puppies and I also love these Squash Puppies made with summer squash.
This Hush Puppy recipe is a recipe I have adapted slightly from Biscuit Head: New Southern Biscuits, Breakfast, and Brunch. Of my newer cookbooks, it is one of my favs!
Okra Hush Puppies Recipe Tip
Be sure to very thinly slice the okra. Otherwise it won’t cook through.
Best eaten right away but leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated in a toaster oven or air fryer.
More Okra Recipes
- Fried Okra
- Corn Okra Creole
- Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- Seafood and Okra Gumbo
- Crispy Roasted Okra with Bacon
These Hush Puppies with okra were made for summer time!
More Hush Puppy Recipes
Okra Hush Puppies
- Vegetable oil
- 4 cups very thinly sliced okra
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups self-rising corn meal mix, I use House Autry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour about 2 inches of oil into a Dutch oven or deep pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine okra, garlic powder, onion, and parsley.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, and sugar. Pour into bowl with okra and stir to combine.
- Stir in the cornbread mix, salt, and pepper.
- Use a spoon or a small ice cream scoop to scoop the batter and drop it into the oil. Working in batches, fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve while still warm.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted June 23, 2017.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
9 thoughts on “Okra Hush Puppies”
I really like your recipe
Thanks for the recipe. I’m going to grow okra for the first time this year. I love it in soups and stews as well as gumbo and I’ll be freezing any excess I get
Can you use frozen okra instead of raw?
I made this tonight and they are absolutely delicious. I have tried many hush puppy recipes but this one is the BEST. Thank you for sharing.
I’m making this today and adding jalapeños to it for a little more flavor Can you use regular corn meal instead of self rising
I’m putting chopped jalapeño in mine along with the okra Also can you use regular corn meal instead of self rising Making them today so if you could let me know I would appreciate it
can you substitute the okra with another vegetabletable
I find them tasteless. Could hardly taste any okra. I was disappointed.
Perfect. Thank you so much !