Spicy Pickle Hush Puppies have a little kick and taste amazing dipped in a cool and creamy White BBQ Sauce.
These Hush Puppies are crispy on the outside with a soft interior studded with diced dill pickles. Equal parts flour and cornmeal produce hush puppies that are wonderfully tender but still have plenty of cornmeal flavor.
The finely diced dill pickles add a little zip to these hush puppies and some crushed red pepper flakes add some spice.
If you don’t have any buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to one scant cup of milk. Stir and then let sit for 5 minutes.
How To Serve
These Hush Puppies taste great on their own but even better with a white bbq sauce. The bbq sauce is an easy mixture of mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, Creole seasoning, and black pepper. It only takes minutes to make and has a nice zip to it.
Spicy Pickle Hush Puppies Recipe Tips
Do NOT overmix the batter. It’s ok if it has a few lumps in it.
Keep the first batch of hush puppies warm in a 200 degree oven while you fry the remaining hush puppies.
More Hush Puppy Recipes
- Southern Hush Puppies– a classic recipe with just the right amount of sweetness.
- Jiffy Hush Puppies– the crispiest, lightest hush puppies ever with a good amount of sweetness.
- Crab Hush Puppies
- Okra Hush Puppies
- Squash Puppies– loaded with cooked yellow summer squash.
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- Make the White BBQ Sauce. Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Pour 2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. Heat to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.Stir in chopped pickles.
- Working in batches, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve hush puppies with white bbq sauce.