Macaroni and Tomatoes is a simple, classic southern recipe made from pantry staples. Easy to make, it is pure comfort food.
It’s sort of like Southern Ghoulash, but much simpler and more basic. Macaroni and Tomatoes is wonderful served with cornbread and I like to add a little grated Parmesan cheese to it.
Only 6 ingredients plus salt and pepper are needed. It can be made in under 20 minutes and is a wonderfully economical meal.
How To Make Macaroni and Tomatoes:
First cook the macaroni in salted water for 8 minutes. While the pasta cooks, combine 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of bacon grease, a can of petite diced tomatoes, and a can of stewed tomatoes in a medium pot. Simmer for 5 minutes. This will evaporate a little of the liquid and concentrate the flavors.
Add salt, pepper, and a little sugar. Mix in the macaroni and simmer for a few minutes. So easy!
If you don’t have bacon grease, use twice the amount of butter. I always save my bacon grease. It can be used for so many things and is especially useful when you are low on butter or oil. It adds a wonderful smokiness to this dish.
If you want this dish to be spicy, add a half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Be sure to use a combination of diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes. Stewed tomatoes have so much awesome flavor and a little sweetness.
Some people like to add a little onion. If you’d like to, saute it in the bacon grease and butter until soft.
Try These Other Classic Southern Recipes
Macaroni and Tomatoes
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 (14-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Drain.
- Add the butter, bacon grease and both cans of tomatoes (undrained) to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 miniutes.
- Add cooked macaroni, salt, pepper, and sugar. Mix well and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve warm with Parmesan cheese if desired.