Instant Pot Spicy Boiled Peanuts- A fantastically quick and easy way to make this loved southern snack. Typically boiled peanuts are slow cooked in a large kettle for hours and hours to get them soft. Or they can be made in the crock pot. But cooking them in a pressure cooker greatly shortens the cooking time.
You can have Instant Pot Spicy Boiled Peanuts ready in about 2 hours. They get perfectly tender, spicy, and seasoned during that time. With a cold beer they make a great game day snack.
Boiled peanuts are an important part of southern food culture and they are the official state snack of my state- South Carolina. Most people either love them or hate them.
I find 75 minutes is the perfect time to pressure cook green peanuts, but you could go a little longer, especially if you like them really soft.
Type Of Peanuts
It’s important to use green peanuts if possible. They are fairly easy to find this time of year in the South. Green peanuts are peanuts that are harvested early. They still have some moisture in them, which allows them to cook faster. You can use peanuts labeled “raw” peanuts, which are dried peanuts, but they need to be cooked longer.
How To Serve
Instant Pot Spicy Boiled Peanuts taste great warm or cold. But they are definitely best when paired with beer. 🙂
Store boiled peanuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. They can be eaten cold, at room temperature or warmed.
More Boiled Peanut Recipes
- Place peanuts in the Instant Pot.
- Add salt, red pepper flakes, and seasoning.
- Add water to cover the peanuts.
- Place the steamer rack for the Instant Pot on top of the peanuts to help weight them down.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, check to see that the valve is in “sealing” position.
- Set to “Pressure Cook” for 75 minutes.
- Let do a natural pressure release for 30 minutes. Open the valve to release any remaining pressure and remove the lid.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted August 22, 2018.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.