Hot Honey Chicken is cooked in a mixture of honey and hot sauce. This sweet and spicy chicken is lick-your-plate good.
HOW TO MAKE HOT HONEY CHIKEN:
For maximum flavor, the chicken is first seared in a skillet. (Use an oven-proof skillet. Cast iron is perfect.) This step gets the skin crispy and golden.
Then a mixture of honey, hot sauce, paprika, and garlic powder is poured over it and it is roasted in a hot (425 degree) oven until the chicken is cooked through.
The chicken is removed from the skillet and butter and lime are mixed in to finish the sauce. To serve, drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
WHAT TYPE OF CHICKEN TO USE?
I like using dark meat- a combination of chicken thighs and chicken legs. The dark meat stays really juicy so you don’t have to worry about dry chicken. You can use white meat, but it will cook quicker so the cooking time will need to be reduced.
HOW SPICY IS THIS CHICKEN?
This chicken has a moderate spice level. For extra spice, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the sauce.
Be sure the chicken is skin side up when you put the skillet in the oven. You want the skin to get crispy.
For hot sauce, I like to use Frank’s Red Hot Original. It has great flavor and isn’t too spicy when used in large quantity.
What To Serve With Hot Honey Chicken:
- Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Lemon Butter Broccoli
- Marinated Tomato, Cucumber, and Onion Salad
- Best Way to Cook Corn on the Cob
Hot Honey Chicken
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup hot sauce, Frank's Red Hot Original
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds chicken thighs and chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, cut in slivers
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.In a small bowl, whisk together honey, hot sauce, paprika, and garlic powder. Set aside
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large oven-proof skillet ( cast iron or stainless steel).When hot, brown chicken for 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and place skin side up on a plate.
- Drain the grease out of the skillet and return chicken to skillet, placing it skin side up.Pour honey mixture over chicken. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast for 18 to 22 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Transfer chicken to a platter. Place skillet over medium-high heat. Bring juices to a simmer for 2 minutes to thicken. Turn heat to low and whisk in butter and lime juice.
- Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle chicken with green onions.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.