Creamed Corn with Smoked Sausage is a fresh and delicious way to enjoy summer corn. Adding in diced smoked sausage really enhances the flavor of creamed corn and makes it a little more hearty. Makes a delicious side dish for a family meal.
Creamed Corn is of course a southern staple during the summer. It’s so sweet and rich and goes so well with fried chicken and bbq. Adding chunks of smoked sausage makes it taste even more delicious. If that’s possible.
When making Creamed Corn, be sure to really scrape the corn cobs well with the back of a knife or the side of a spoon to get every bit of pulp and milk. Yes, it’s a little bit labor intensive to scrape each and every cob well, but your effort will be well rewarded.
And don’t skimp on the cream. This is one side dish that’s meant to be rich and creamy!
Homemade Creamed Corn made from fresh summer corn is truly one of the best things you will ever eat.
Creamed Corn with Smoked Sausage
- 12 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped smoked sausage, about 8 ounces
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Cut kernels from corn and place in a large bowl. Take the back of a knife and run it down each cob to scrape off the pulp. You should get about 1 1/2 cups of pulp altogether. Place in bowl with kernels.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and onion, turn heat down to medium, and cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
- Add corn and stir in 3/4 cup cream and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring frequently for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining cream, black pepper, crushed red pepper, thyme, and remaining salt.
- Cook a few more mintes and remove from heat.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen
More Ways to Enjoy Summer Corn
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
2 thoughts on “Creamed Corn with Smoked Sausage”
This dish looks delicious and attractive. I will try to make it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
what a pretty looking meal… corn is my fav too..